Thursday, November 18, 2010

HOW I WON THE 2008 SHOOTOUT AT THAMES GOLF CLUB

A Shootout in golfing terms is when at least one person is eliminated each
hole until the last hole when one person is left and they are declared the
Winner. It is usually played over 18 holes with 19 players teeing off on the 1st
hole. One player is eliminated each hole, and that player is the one with the
highest score. In a Shootout where handicap is allowed the highest net score
gets eliminated.

If there is a tie then the referee decides where the players chip or putt off
from, and the players get one chip or putt with the player whose ball is
furthest away from the hole being eliminated. It is a fun form of the game of
Golf.

Well on the morning of Saturday 22nd of November 2008 the Thames Golf
Club staged their Shootout for the year. 10 players turned up and we all put
$20 in, which meant $200 was up for grabs with the Winner getting $100, 2nd
getting $70, and 3rd $30. It was decided by T J (2008 Club Captain) that we
would play the back nine.

So after we had all paid our money, we walked over to the 10th tee. The 10 of
us playing were Me, SG (Club Champion), GD, JP (Known as Cowboy), TJ
(2008 Club Captain), The Late RC, GJ, DC, RJ (Local Architect), and DM.
The 1st player to be eliminated was SG (Club Champion), he had a bogey 4,
to my and DC’s pars, and we were the only players not getting strokes. But
SG (Club Champion) took it on the chin and became the Referee for the
remaining 8 holes.

So to the 11th hole. Everyone was getting a shot here. I got through that hole
easily with a par 4, that became a net 3, but GD and RJ (Local Architect) had
net 5’s. So they had to ( putt off against each other). SG (Club Champion) who had become the Referee chose the spot where they had to putt off from. RJ (Local Architect)
putted first and was about 8 feet away. GD went second and couldn’t get
inside RJ (Local Architect) so GD was eliminated. GD was very unlucky,
because his 3rd shot hit the pin on the full and bounced off the green. Had it
missed the pin he would have been no more than 8 feet away and assured of
at least a nett 4. But that’s how it turns out/goes sometimes.

And so on the 8 of us went to the 12th Tee. I got a par 4 which became a nett
3 and I was safely though again. The player to be eliminated was JP (Known
as Cowboy). He had a Triple Bogey 7, which became a nett 6. So to the 13th
hole.

With 7 players left. I again made an easy par 4 that became a nett 3 and was
safely through. GJ and TJ (2008 Club Captain) both had nett 5’s. They had a
putt off against each other. The place on the green was decided by SG
(Senior Champion). He chose for them to putt from the back of the green to
where the pin was. GJ putted first and landed 3 feet from the hole. But TJ
(2008 Club Captain) left his putt 15 feet short. TJ (2008 Club Captain’s)
Shootout had come to an end.

6 players left and five holes to play. So to the 14th hole, I hit my ball safely on
the par 3 within 15 feet of the hole and made my par for a nett 3 and got
through. The Late RC (President) and GJ were in a putt off decided by SG
(Senior Champion), it was a putt from the back of the green to the pin at the
front. GJ went first and putted it 3 feet from the hole. The Late RC left his putt
15 feet short and was eliminated.

5 players were left and 4 holes to play. So off to the 15th tee we went. I hit the
par 5 easily in 2 shots and 2 putted for birdie for a nett 4. But RJ (Local
Architect) & GJ had nett 5’s so SG(Club Champion) decided on a chip this
time from the rough. GJ went first and put it to 5 feet off the hole, RJ(Local
Architect) chipped within a foot. So GJ was eliminated.

4 players left and 3 holes to play. Onto the 16th hole. I had an easy par 4 for
a nett 3. But all 4 of us had the same score. So we had a four way chip off. It
was my first chip off for the day, SG (Club Champion) took us just off the
green at the back and we played to the front pin. I went first and putted to 3
feet. DM and RJ (Local Architect) also putted close. But DC wasn’t so lucky,
and he was eliminated.

3 players left and 2 holes to play. So to the 17th hole. RJ (Local Architect) &
DM were looking solid for par 4’s. I was looking like the player to be
eliminated having had to chip though the trees just short of the green. I miss
hit my chip shot meaning I would have to face a 25 foot putt to stay in the
Shootout. I gave it a firm hit because the greens had recently been cored. It
was right on line and hit the back of the cup very hard, went a little way in the
air, then fell back into the cup!!! Everyone watching made a great big CHEER
OF AMAZEMENT!!!!

It was a nett 4 for me, DM missed his easy par putt and had a nett 4 as well,
and RJ(Local Architect) got a nett 4 as well. SG(Club Champion) chose a
place for us 3 to chip off from. We tossed for the honour, I won and went first.
I chipped to within 4 feet, DM chipped just outside me, but RJ(Local Architect)
couldn’t get inside DM, and his Shootout came to an end. But he got $30 for
his 3rd placing.

So to the 18th and final hole. It was Me and DM squaring off for the title. DM
had a shot and I didn’t so I knew I may need a Birdie just to get in a chip off.
DM teed off 1st and to my surprise after hitting his driver well on the previous
holes completely capitulated and hit the tree on the left just off the tee and it
dropped straight down. I hit 5 iron just for position down the middle of the
fairway. DM hit his 2nd shot out on to the 9th fairway and eventually managed
to get on the green for 5 shots. I hit my Pitching Wedge to 15 feet and calmly 2 putted to
win the 2008 Shootout!! I felt on TOP OF THE WORLD!!!

I got a congratulatory handshake from all my Opponents that had stuck
around to watch the finish. And DJ (Club Manager at the time) also shook my
hand and said WELL DONE!!

Then TJ (2008 Club Captain) gave me my well earned $100 cash for winning
the Shootout!!
Later that evening in the Club House, BH (President) also shook my hand
and said congratulations for winning the 2008 Shootout at Thames Golf Club.

1 comment:

  1. Ya done good my son.Some putt huh on the 17th. Nice write.

    ReplyDelete